Some time ago we bought some of those mail order mini fruit trees, and now about three years later those trees are absolutely loaded with fruit. The plum doesn’t ever seem to do much, but it’s going to take planning to make good use of all the apples and pears! If you like your fruit and you are on a budget, a couple of little fruit trees in your garden are an extremely worthwhile investment.
Apples of course are excellent for all kinds of things, including weight loss and reducing cholesterol. There is some merit to the saying ‘an apple a day’. I’ve found one way to get in my apple a day, is in this Bircher style muesli.
Here the apple is partnered with mixed berries. I get mine frozen from ASDA in 1kg bags for just £3 – which is really good value. Especially when compared to the expense of buying fresh berries. See here: ASDA Berry Medley
- 500g frozen berries
- 250g wholegrain porridge oats
- 500g plain unsweetened soya or coconut yoghurt
- 3 tbsp agave syrup (or preferred liquid sweetener)
- 1 fresh apple per serving
- Defrost the berries overnight (alternatively defrost the berries in a bag placed in hot water, or use the microwave)
- Stir all ingredients, except apples, together and put in a sealed tub in the fridge to be used when wanted (will last several days).
- To eat, spoon some of the mixture into a bowl and add one freshly grated apple.
- Stir together and serve.