This is a great Italian inspired brunch dish and an excellent alternative to scrambled tofu if you are seeking something a bit different to replace those weekend eggs.
Simple, healthy and quick; serves two to four depending on how much of an appetite you have. Don’t forget to have some nice crusty bread with it to mop up the sauce.
Original recipe found here @ A Virtual Vegan
Tofu in Purgatory
- 400g firm tofu, pressed and cut into four slices
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 3 – 4 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 2 x 400g tins chopped tomatoes
- 2 tsp dried oregano
- 1/2 – 1 tsp dried chilli flakes (I prefer it spicy)
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1 tsp brown sugar
- black salt (optional)
- Heat the oil in a deep sided frying pan and add the garlic.
- Saute for a couple of minutes then add the tomatoes, oregano, sugar and chilli.
- Simmer for five minutes on a medium heat. Season the sauce with salt and pepper to taste.
- Place tofu slices in the sauce and poach them gently for a further fifteen minutes.
- Sprinkle the tofu with some black salt if liked, then serve.