Whole Lentil & Potato Stew
- 1 tbsp oil
- 2 onions, roughly sliced
- 3-4 sticks celery, sliced
- 3 cloves garlic, crushed
- 2-3 medium carrots, roughly sliced
- 700g / 1+1/2 lbs potatoes, peeled and chopped into large pieces.
- 1 cup whole brown or green lentils
- 300g / 10 oz mushrooms, quartered
- Half a swede, cut into cubes
- 1+1/2 litres / 6 Cups boiling water
- 1 tbsp yeast extract (or 2 vegetable stock cubes)
- 1 tbsp balsamic vinegar
- 6 shakes vegan Worcester sauce (I use Chippa)
- 2 tbsp soy sauce
- Heat the oil in a large lidded pan. Saute onions, garlic and celery until softened.
- Add lentils, water, yeast extract, vinegar, Worcester and soy sauce.
- Bring to the boil, reduce the heat, put on the lid and simmer for 15 minutes.
- Add carrots, swede, potatoes, mushrooms. Bring back to the boil, reduce heat and simmer for a further 20 – 30 minutes.