- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 2 large onions
- 2-4 cloves of garlic
- 2 large carrots
- 1 x 400g carton chopped tomatoes or passata
- 2 tbsp tomato puree
- 1 litre hot water or vegetable stock
- 250g whole lentils
- 1 tbsp dried oregano
- 2 bay leaves
- red wine vinegar (to serve)
- Heat oil in a large pan.
- Peel and chop the vegetables. Gently fry in the olive oil.
- Add water or stock, chopped tomatoes and tomato puree then bring to the boil.
- Add the herbs.
- Reduce heat, add the lid and simmer for about 1 hour or until lentils are tender.
- Serve with a splash of red wine vinegar and a drizzle of olive oil if liked.