Leek & Potato Stew with Parsley Dumplings
- 2tbsp vegetable oil
- 2 x large onion, chopped
- 1 tsp dried mixed herbs
- 1/2 US cup barley
- 1200ml boiling water
- 1 x vegetable stock cube
- 500g potatoes, peeled and cubed
- 500g leeks, washed and sliced
- 100g self-raising wholemeal flour
- 50g vegetable suet
- 1 tsp salt
- handful of fresh parsley, finely chopped
- Heat the oil in a large saucepan. Add the onion and saute for five to ten minutes.
- Add the water, stock cube, herbs and barley. Bring the pan to a boil. Put lid on pan, reduce heat and simmer for 20 minutes.
- Add the potatoes and leeks. Bring back to the boil. Put lid on the pan and, reduce the heat and simmer for a further 15 minutes.
- While the stew is cooking place the flour, vegetable suet, salt and parsley in a bowl. Stir to mix. Add just enough cold water to form a firm dough.
- Divide dough into six evenly sized balls. If sticky dust lightly in flour.
- Gently place the dumplings on the top of the stew, reduce heat and replace the pan lid. Continue to simmer for a final 10 minutes until the dumplings are risen.