I’m not a big fan of sweet things at breakfast time so I often prefer my breakfasts to be savoury, however what I don’t prefer is the hassle that usually comes from cooking them first thing in the morning. In my ongoing search for fast simple and savoury breakfasts, I found this recipe from another blog here some time ago and I’ve been making it ever since; with a couple of minor alterations. It’s savoury, satisfying and actually rather moreish as well as being nice and quick and relatively mess free! Generally I cook up a batch of quinoa and then use it from the fridge during the week, but even if you haven’t pre-cooked your quinoa, it only takes another ten or so minutes of prep to do it in the morning.
Savoury Breakfast Quinoa – vegan
- cooked quinoa, about a ladle full or a US cup full
- one small onion, roughly chopped
- a good handful of mushrooms or about 100g, sliced
- 1 dessert spoonful of tasty oil, I like hemp or olive
- 1 tsp soya sauce
- salt and black pepper
- If you haven’t already cooked your quinoa, then put a cup full in a pan and cover with boiling water. Bring back to the boil, put on the lid and reduce the heat. Simmer for ten to fifteen minutes, or until doubled in size. Rinse and strain.
- Heat the oil in a wok or large non-stick saucepan. Add onions, mushrooms and a pinch of salt, and fry on a medium to high heat for several minutes, or until the edges of your mushrooms begin to brown.
- Add the cooked quinoa (as much as you are hungry for) and heat through briefly, while stirring.
- Serve. Season with a dash of soya sauce and a grind of black pepper.