As you may gather from the heading, all the credit for these little dishes of strawberry gorgeousness goes to Sophie of Sophies Foodie Files (please see here for the original: http://sophiesfoodiefiles.wordpress.com/2013/05/27/vegan-gluten-free-strawberry-puddings-yes/ ) from whom I’ve nabbed this recipe. I’ve just tweaked a little to suit my evidently sweeter tooth!
It’s a great time of year for English strawberries, as right now they are quite a bit cheaper than earlier in the Summer. And this recipe is especially suited to any slightly over-ripe punnets of strawbs you may happen to find in the ‘reduced’ bargain section of the supermarket.
Being vegan these aren’t exactly like traditional cream-loaded fruit fools, but who needs all that fat anyway? The secret ingredient is actually tofu, but you honestly wouldn’t have a clue it was in there!
Sophie says to whip them up and leave overnight for the flavours to deepen; I’ve made them twice now and haven’t succeeded in doing so yet, but pass the tip on in case you have stronger willpower than I have!
Sophie’s Vegan Strawberry Fools
- 400g ripe strawberries; washed de-hulled and halved
- 400g carton silken tofu (I used Morinu silken firm)
- 2 tbsp ground flax seeds
- 1 tsp natural vanilla flavouring
- 1 tsp natural strawberry flavouring (optional)
- 4 – 6 rounded tbsp soft light brown sugar
- chilled oat cream to serve (optional)
- Put all ingredients (except oat cream) into a food processor and process till smooth and creamy.
- Pour into individual serving bowls.
- Leave to firm in fridge for a couple of hours; ideally overnight.
- Top with a swirl of chilled oat cream and a sliced strawberry!